Under certain circumstances, when working in SQL Server Management Studio, you might get the error message “Property SpaceAvailabable is not available for Database ‘[tempdb]’“.
Why I got this message?
Most of the times, you might get the above message because something else happened prior to the action that triggered the error message.
For example, maybe the disk got full, or certain permissions might have been revoked, or there is blocking, etc.
The exact error message is the below:
TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
Cannot show requested dialog.
Cannot show requested dialog. (SqlMgmt)
Property SpaceAvailabable is not available for Database ‘[tempdb]’. This property may not exist for this object, or may not be retrievable due to insufficient access rights (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)
How to resolve the issue
There are certain actions you can take, towards resolving the issue. Since the root cause might be different in each case, there is a list of of suggested things you can check:
- Make sure there is no issue with the disk used by TempDB data and log files (i.e. disk full, etc.)
- Make sure there is no issue with the disk(s) used by the rest of the system databases (msdb, model, master)
- Verify that you have the necessary permissions on the SQL Server instance
- Check and resolve any blocking issues on the SQL Server instance
- Check the Windows Event Viewer for any issues related to SQL Server
- If you are connected to the SQL Server instance from a client PC, you can try accessing the instance locally from within the server
If nothing from the above resolves the issue, as a last resort, and after you get the required approvals and downtime from Management, you can try restarting the SQL Server instance, or in the case of a SQL Failover Cluster Instance, fail over to another node.
Check my Online Courses
I try to explain technical stuff with simplicity and with a “straight to the point” mentality. If you liked my article and also liked my approach of explaining tech stuff, then you should definitely check my online courses.
I regularly update all my courses with additional educational material in order to keep them up to date, and after you enroll to a course, among other, you get lifetime access.
Learn all about SQL Server 2019
Check my online course on Udemy titled “SQL Server 2019: What’s New” (discount included in link).
Rate this article:
Reference: aartemiou.com (https://www.aartemiou.com)
© Artemakis Artemiou